The study of women in history has not always been a popular topic. As discussed in our classes the importance of women in the past has only become more noticed recently. This is due to the idea of equality not being recognized in the past. It was not seen as important or even cared about. Men were much higher on the social ladder than women. As ladies role became more noticed it lead to more historians focusing their studies on the impact they had in history. This led too many discoveries and realizations that women had a major impact on the past. These discussions in class helped me realize I wanted to focus my research project not just on Protestant Orphans’ homes, but the impact women had on their operation.

The lady manager of protestant orphans homes controlled a large portion of the homes operation. Their roles included; the daily running of the home, apprenticing the children, and how they wanted the home to operate as a hole. This allowed them to run the home in a new way that differed from other homes. They focused more on bringing in empathy to the running of the home. I realized what large role they played and how they were part of a revelation in child care. These women focused on changing institutional care to a more maternal outlook that focused on the individual needs of the children. I did not realize how they made such a difference. These women at the time may not been seen as important but when researching I realized these women were experts, thinkers, and innovators.  These women are not largely recognized women, but in the community of social work the were recognized as philanthropic role models, who help pushed the system to a new beginning. I was impressed with how much of an impact was created. These women worked hard to climb up the social latter and become part of a social reform.

An interesting article I found, written by Patricia T. Rooke and R.L. Schnell really focused in on how the women of POH made an impact: 4586-6003-1-pb